Jeff Skoll launched the Skoll Global Threats Fund in 2009 to tackle the world’s most pressing issues. The Skoll Global Threats Fund has a mandate to drive large-scale global change on the most critical issues facing mankind. With a focus on five global threats, the organization identifies and supports innovative high-impact initiatives to combat climate change, water security, pandemics, nuclear proliferation, and Middle East conflict. The Skoll Global Threats Fund is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Marketing Communications Officer
We are seeking a creative, energetic team player to support the growing marketing communications needs of the Skoll Global Threats Fund. The Marketing Communications Officer will be responsible for the full range of marketing communications activities, including message development, web and social media presence, collateral creation, and brand development, as well as support media relations and other communications functions, as needed. The Marketing Communications Officer must be flexible and able to contribute to an evolving communications environment, at times diving deep in programs areas, at times focusing more on the overall organization. He/She will report to the Director of Policy and Communications, but will work closely with the program teams.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Working closely with the Director of Policy and Communications and the program teams, the Marketing Communications Officer will:
– Support development of messaging and visual content about the Skoll Global Threats Fund, including materials for external audiences and other stakeholders.
– Create and maintain multi-level, multi-audience messaging and materials, including presentations, around the Fund’s activities in each issue area.
– Support the program teams’ delivery of consistent quality materials and experiences to their respective networks.
– Ensure consistent brand/visual representation across the organization.
– Maintain the Fund’s website, including creating, where needed, new web properties to support issue-specific web needs.
– Manage the Fund’s social media presence.
– Keep current on media treatment of global threats and share relevant coverage regularly internally and with the Fund’s Jeff Skoll Group sister entities.
– As needed, support the program teams’ media relations efforts, including relationships with PR agencies.
– Other duties, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Assets
– Minimum of five years of relevant work experience.
– Minimum of bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field.
– Superior written and verbal skills.
– Expertise in message development, marketing collateral, and brand management.
– Experience managing a social media presence, including blog, Twitter and Facebook accounts.
– Experience creating visually compelling presentations; fluency with Powerpoint, Keynote, and/or other presentation software.
– Experience in overseeing creation of short videos.
– Experience working with interdisciplinary teams.
– Strong attention to detail and organizational and project management skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive attitude; desire and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
– Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
– Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
The position is exempt, plus bonus potential. Benefits include employer paid medical, dental, vision, matching 403(b), and paid parking or transit subsidy.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify Marketing Communications Officer in the message subject line. In your cover letter please tell us how your specific experiences and accomplishments match our needs and mission. We will contact qualified applicants. Deadline for submission is August 21.
Partnerships and Marketing Associate, Flu Near You
Flu Near You was launched in 2011 by the Skoll Global Threats Fund, in partnership with Boston Children’s Hospital, as a proof of concept to see if flu outbreaks could be detected by crowd-sourcing self-reported symptoms from volunteers in the general public. Flu Near You provides a website and mobile applications that allow the public to self-report their health information using a quick weekly survey. This information is mapped, providing local and national views of influenza-like illness.
We are seeking an organized and energetic team player to maintain and develop partnerships and marketing programs for Flu Near You. Working closely with the Pandemics team, this position will be responsible for strengthening existing partner relationships and ensuring the execution of various marketing programs. Activities will be focused on increasing both the number and engagement level of both individual users and partner organizations for Flu Near You. The position requires flexibility and a strong executional focus.
Primary duties and responsibilities
Working closely with the Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Flu Near You, the Partnerships and Marketing Associate will:
– Develop and prepare messaging supporting unique value propositions for different member segments.
– Execute marketing campaigns to recruit and retain Flu Near You participants and sponsors.
– Analyze and evaluate marketing activities and strategies. Develop benchmark criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of marketing programs.
– Develop CRM programs and work closely with the product team to increase member activation and retention.
– Coordinate public relation and social media initiatives both in-house and via agencies.
– Serve as direct point-of-contact for industry, non-profit, and government partners to develop opportunities and campaigns for Flu Near You.
– Provide updates on Flu Near You partnerships and marketing programs.
– Provide general partnerships support for Flu Near You.
– Maintain and expand existing partner relationships by keeping in close contact with corporate representatives, stewarding their requests and presenting them with additional opportunities as appropriate.
– Develop goals, objectives, and measures of success per relationship.
Knowledge, skills, and assets
– Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, including experience working independently.
– Minimum of Bachelors degree, education or experience in health preferred.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills.
– Experience writing content for a variety of communications vehicles targeting the general public (e.g, websites, brochures, factsheets, etc.).
– Experience managing communications contractors (e.g., web designers, media buyers, app developers).
– Direct response marketing experience is a plus.
– Strong organizational and project management skills with excellent attention to detail.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with positive attitude; desire and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
– Ability to problem-solve and find creative solutions.
– Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
– Strong working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and Google Sites.
– Ability to develop evaluation measures or metrics around opportunities.
– Business savvy with ability to negotiate and overcome challenges.
– Ability to communicate, negotiate and develop relationships with a broad range of people, both internal and external to the organization, in a professional and ethical manner.
This is a short-term contract position for nine months through April 2016. Benefits include paid parking or a transit subsidy and a dynamic work environment with a talented team of passionate professionals.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Please specify Partnerships and Marketing Associate, Flu Near You in the message subject line. In your cover letter, please tell us how your specific experiences and accomplishments match our needs and mission. We will contact qualified applicants after submission.